Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:29:05
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerreported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Bluestocking Bookshop of Michigan champions used books: 'I see books I've never seen before'
- Bachelor in Paradise’s Kat and John Henry Break Up
- Mexico’s president vows to eliminate regulatory, oversight agencies, claiming they are ‘useless’
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Texas woman who sued state for abortion travels out of state for procedure instead
- Watch: Florida bear goes Grinch, tramples and steals Christmas lawn decorations
- Rapper Quando Rondo charged with federal drug crimes. He was already fighting Georgia charges
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- A countdown to climate action
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Private intelligence firms say ship was attacked off Yemen as Houthi rebel threats grow
- 'I ain't found it yet.' No line this mother won't cross to save her addicted daughter
- 5 countries in East and southern Africa have anthrax outbreaks, WHO says, with 20 deaths reported
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Mexico’s president vows to eliminate regulatory, oversight agencies, claiming they are ‘useless’
- Romanian court rejects influencer Andrew Tate’s request to return assets seized in trafficking case
- Backlash to House testimony shines spotlight on new generation of Ivy League presidents
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Ramaswamy was the target of death threats in New Hampshire that led to FBI arrest, campaign says
What to know about abortion lawsuits being heard in US courts this week
This Is Not A Drill! Abercrombie Is Having A Major Sale With Up to 50% Off Their Most Loved Pieces
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Zelenskyy will arrive on Capitol Hill to grim mood as Biden’s aid package for Ukraine risks collapse
Governor wants New Mexico legislators to debate new approach to regulating assault-style weapons
US inflation likely cooled again last month as Fed prepares to assess interest rates